From a Dolman burial chamber near Eyre Point to a magnificent road built by one man – Calum Macleod Raasay has its fair share of history.
The Iron Mine Works
Whoever owned Raasay House owned the estate. In 1910 William Baird & Co brought the estate and made plans to exploit the rich seam of Ironstone that had been found in 1883 by the previous owner Wallace Thorneycroft. The walk along the Miners Trail to the harbour processing and transportation complex down at the old pier is very thought provoking. Remnants of a narrow gauge railway. The workings are long gone, but it was carried over concrete viaducts which are still visible today.
Content & Photographs ©Barbara Martin